Book Club Discussion Questions for
The Burden of a Daughter
By Megan A. Clancy
Megan A. Clancy
Below are ten questions to help facilitate discussion with your group after reading the novel:
1. What is the significance of the book’s title?
2. The book’s cover is tinted red. Why might Clancy have done this? What is the significance of the color red in the story?
3. For the majority of the book, none of the female characters have given names (nor are the names that are used capitalized). What is the significance of this?
4. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?
5. How does the relationship between aama and chhori change over the course of the story?
6. What specific themes did Clancy emphasize throughout the novel?
7. On page 67, hajuraama states, “I believe that we are more powerful over our destiny than a statue. I also believe there is much beyond my understanding.” How does this idea play out throughout the story?
8. What is the most significant moment for aama in the story? What is the most significant moment for chhori?
9. How did the setting(s) act as a character within the story?
10. How do the prologue and epilogue mirror each other?
Copyright © Megan A. Clancy. All rights reserved.